The week that was - December 20, 2021


It was a hectic week getting ready for Christmas and as good a reason as any to load up on veggie friendly dishes. I’m sure we all will be rightfully indulging this Christmas because we all deserve to treat ourselves! 

During a recent shopping trip to knickknack mecca Homegoods  I was excited to find a recipe book by everyone’s favorite California cook Gabby Dawkins. I have a well used cookbook on the shelf from her already and utilize her Instagram regularly. 

Recipe by Gabby Dawkins from her wonderful cookbook "Eat what you want"
I never found canned hominy which the recipe called for. I subbed hominy for polenta which may not have looked as appealing but man, oh man, the flavor of this soup was out of this world.

We've made this particular 'za several times now. Brussel sprouts are near the top of the list of household favorite foods. And I've also tried this one on a puff pastry base which was very successful.

This is my kind of meal. I love a rice bowl with lots of veggies and a sweet/salty sauce. I also noticed that I've been making a lot of meatballs lately. Not intentional but they always make great leftovers!

I realized a week later that I forgot one of the ingredients. This was a good effort and a successful weeknight meal but I'll have to have a re-do!

And a special entry for Christmas dinner with my family I was tasked with roasting the lamb this year. We have a small family so I went with a 4lb semi boneless leg of lamb. I borrowed ideas from a couple of sources but ultimately went with a classic mix of olive oil, fresh thyme, rosemary, parsley, and lots of garlic. Roasted at 425 degrees for 15 minutes and then turned the heat to 375 degrees for an hour and a half. It was melt in your mouth tender and there were varying degrees of done-ness which suited the table just fine.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas!

Comments

Popular Posts