The week that was February 7th, 2022

This was a fun and unusual week for building our weekly menu. There were two babies born on our street and the families in our wonderful neighborhood banded together to provide dinners for the new parents. Cute, right? It gave me the opportunity to make some larger batch dinners which I rarely get to do, as well as introduce some beloved recipes to other people.

So here goes the week that was...

A special shoutout to the many, many coffees I enjoyed. Thank you for getting me through this long, long, long week. The little heart on top seemed appropriate for Valentines day (and was totally accidental)

Venison Burgers with Japanese Sweet Potato Fries
We don't eat a lot of beef burgers. I crave a turkey burger, black bean burger, or even a salmon burger? But we needed something easy for a Saturday night and Whole Foods had some ground venison that peaked my interest. It was an unusually warm day for February so we decided to break out the grill, wipe off the patio cushions and have ourselves an impromptu cookout. I paired the patties with bacon, cheddar, and arugula microgreens. Japanese sweet potato fries baked in the oven were a delightful side to these tasty burgers!

A spur of the moment dinner guest was the perfect evening to jazz up this creamy chicken and rice dish. The flavors were great and the boursin cheese really created a rich cream sauce. I wish that I had gotten the firmer chorizo that you get in the deli section in lieu of the crumbly chorizo I purchased. I think it would have added more of that amazing chorizo flavor. But overall a good meal.

I love a salty Asian dish and the addition of cauliflower to crank up the veggies really made this a winner. It was really simple to pull together and mostly one pan. I'll add this one to the repeat recipes list!

This one went to new parents number one! I LOVE this stroganoff. Its got balsamic vinegar and miso that make such a robust and interesting flavor. My mom used to make the hamburger helper stroganoff when I was a kid and it was honestly one of  my favorite meals! This one is the fancier updated version but is still simple and easy!

Parents number two certainty got lucky when I chose this tortellini soup for night two of the meal train. It's literally top 3 favorite meals. If you haven't tried it, don't procrastinate. Spicy Italian sausage, cheese tortellini, fresh spinach..... oh my. I could eat this every damn day.

I think I could make this Dutch baby with my eyes closed at this point. It's deceptively simple and tastes incredible. Having a surplus of arugula micro greens was the whisper of an excuse needed to pull out the cast iron. This one's for you butter lovers out there!

The holiday baking craze has eased, but in an effort to keep practicing I just had to try these thumbprint cookies. I attempted them at Christmas and it was frankly, a total fail. These however turned out great! Soft and buttery shortbread and tangy lemon curd which was store-bought from Trader Joes. They held up great with really minimal cracking or spreading. I watched the video on the recipe site which I found extremely helpful.

I hope everyone has a great week!
Enjoy

Comments

Popular Posts