The week that was April 18th, 2022

Maybe it's all the outdoor time and getting that vitamin d into my system (no jokes please) but I've been feeling much more like myself lately. It's no secret to anyone who has a pulse that the last few years have been crappy in various ways, and still are for so many. But I'm feeling the optimism of springtime and looking forward to sunny days.

Here are the good eats of the week!

I won't regurgitate this Food52 article about the historical significance of spoon bread. Suffice to say it's not a carb that had crossed my path before and I was eager to give it a go. It was everything I wanted and more! Definitely a soufflé texture with the taste of a rich and cheesy cornbread.
Just look at that!
This salad was really wonderful but got overshadowed by the novelty of the spoonbread. I am entering into my kale-salad phase and this one is top of the list. Second to the Kale Caesar from Chopt. This easy kale salad had zesty lemon, chili flakes, perfectly flakey salmon, and even avocado! Nothing to complain about here.

I was really looking forward to this recipe in it's original form. Alas, the store was out of snap peas so asparagus came to the rescue. This was touted as a more 'traditional' Italian pasta with limited ingredients but it was not limited in its flavor. It was exceptionally simple and so flavorful. I'd eat ricotta on just about anything TBH.

Sesame Teriyaki Salmon
This was a wing-it recipe that came together really nicely. Teriyaki is simple to make with the foresight of the right ingredients. I found some Gai Lan accurately described as Chinese broccoli which added some much needed greens. And of course, sesame seeds on sesame seeds! 

Fajita Chicken Salad
Another one-off to the grocery store meal. It was a yard work Saturday that required a cool down dinner. I found myself with one bell pepper, cotija, onion, radishes, and a single serve guacamole. So off to the store I went to make a meal! A pack of fajita seasoning solidified the idea and all it took was some greens, chicken, and a lime to whip up this unplanned delight.

I love tacos (who doesn't) and I love breakfast (again, who doesn't). So this really spoke to me and I added it to the meal plan right away. Did not disappoint! The potatoes got nicely browned and the chorizo was savory but not overpowering. I did runny yolks and it was absolutely worth the sticky egg fingers.

Ok so this recipe was for an instant pot which I don't own nor have the space for. I modified for the stovetop was easy to do and viola! 20 minutes for charred crispy Brussel sprouts and you have a delicious meal. Super simple and a pan gravy? Count me in.

Enjoy!




Comments

Popular Posts