The week that was April 11th, 2022

The trees here are fully blossoming and I've been spending a lot of time weeding out the garden in the front of the house. It's definitely given me a big appetite and I've obliged with some really good dinners. This weekend was Easter and we participated in our streets block party, the Egg-stravaganza. Our neighborhood has a great group of families and we, even though we are introverts at heart, enjoy participating in these group activities that they have been so welcoming to invite us!

On to the weeks eats!

Highly recommended by the author as the most liked recipe on her site so I had to give it a try! It had the trappings of things I enjoy, chick peas, quinoa, and a cream based soup. I'll say it was really good! I was unable to get heavy cream at the grocery store (I blame Easter) but the light cream was almost as good. Overall I can see why its a fan favorite, creamy, savory, and healthy-ish.

Went out on a limb with this recipe after not being able to find the OG post I had seen when doing the grocery list. (I've been sufficiently lectured about bookmarking so don't you worry) But I quickly came across this substitute and I'm happy I did! The frying of the noodles after cooking gave them a thick, sticky texture that was really addictive. Crumbly, salty pork and crispy carrots and green beans really rounded this dish out nicely.

We've done variations on this recipe before and for a Monday night meal there's nothing simpler. You cook the cauliflower and chickpeas together on a lined pan so there's basically no cleanup. The dressing is easy and tasty. I always try to have tahini in house even though as a non-peanut butter eater it leans towards that flavor. It's masked enough by the lemon and garlic to be perfectly balanced. Healthy, check. Easy, check. Satisfying, check!

Here's one that didn't go according to plan. I needed to get this chicken going in the crockpot about 3 hours before it did, so day one of this recipe included takeout from one of our favorite local spots and landmark, Grecian Corner. The chicken was able to simmer happily for several hours and then to the fridge. It heated up well on the stove the next day and we sat down to enjoy these long awaited tacos. The tortillas were large so I'd say they were more like quesadillas but no complaints there. The avocado crema was delightful. Next time I'll keep an eye on the clock.

Wow, this is one for the masses. There's something about ranch flavors I love, even though its not something we keep in the fridge. Garlic, dill..... yum. I really enjoyed the flavors in the meatballs, and the couscous couldn't have been simpler. A delightful super soft, melt in your mouth texture. I made a 'ranch' drizzle with sour cream and the traditional ranch spices, heavy on the ones I like and this meal got thumbs up all around!

My family stopped by to visit on Saturday after the Egg-stravaganza (I re-made the white chocolate and macadamia nut scones for that gathering) and I made some savory scones for their enjoyment. These little gems had more of a biscuit texture, which I was expecting. But they packed a punch with plenty of cheese and a garlic chive cream cheese to spread on top. Very good and very simple!

Enjoy!



Comments

Popular Posts